What is the DDH Compact?
The Dentist and Dental Hygienist Compact is an interstate occupational licensure compact. Interstate compacts are constitutionally authorized, legally binding, legislatively enacted contracts among states. This compact enables licensed dentists and dental hygienists to practice in all states participating in the compact, as opposed to them obtaining an individual license in every state they want to practice.
Who can use the DDH Compact?
A dentist or dental hygienist is eligible to participate in the compact if they have:
- An active, unencumbered license in any state participating in the compact.
- Passed the National Board Examination or other exam accepted by the compact commission.
- Completed a clinical assessment.
- Graduated from an education program accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation.
- No disqualifying criminal history.
The Council of State Governments (CSG) has facilitated the development of the Dentist and Dental Hygienist Compact model legislation. This legislation has been finalized for introduction during 2023 legislative sessions. Each state must enact the model legislation to join the compact. Supporters of the compact can contact the state chapter or national office of their professional membership association and state legislature to advocate for the interstate compact.
Download this information as a PDF below.